Wednesday 16 February 2011

Alone in the big wide world

When I was a teenager, I'd always been embarrassed and ashamed of my upbringing, worried that people would mock me or think indifferently of me. I wasn't like the others, always been different.

I was born Clare Butcher...

From the age of 2 I was placed into foster care by my parents. Their excuse was they couldn't cope with myself and my brother.

There wasn't just them being unable to cope, my dad was an alcoholic and was abusive towards my mother and the rest of us. I remember clearly the fights, the arguments and the screaming.

By the time I was 5 years old, I'd been back and forth to live with both parents and yet more foster carers ever moving house and ever changing places. The only place that was kept the same was school... It was my safe haven.

Once again though, they both got sick of us and placed us back into foster care. This time we were severely malnourished and dirty. Throughout the ages of 2-7 I was placed in and out of foster care 47 times. 47 families and 47 homes to deal with.

I finally got placed into a steady care home when i was 8 years old. This was my dream come true...a place that i could finally call home.

Throughout the next 13 years, I've had serious problems with both parents, I ended up cutting all ties when I was 15 and haven't spoken to them since.

My then foster carer and now my mam has been my absolute rock, she's my saviour and my true Mam. I love the ground she walks on and would do anything in the world for her. She saved my life and chose me.

So when I was 16, I took on the family name and have never looked back.

I am now, and forever will be, Clare Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment